Capurgana trip in the municipality of Acandi Colombia. Place of Darien gap, ‘La Miel’ beach in the town of Sapzurro and other beaches. Capurgana is a municipality of Acandi located in Choco province, on the Caribbean coast of Colombia (South America). It is located near the border with Panama, in the Gulf of Uraba. Capurgana is one of the most important Colombian tourist attractions which is appreciated for the beauty of its beaches, ideal for snuba diving. It is surrounded by bays and the Darien gap, having a pleasant climate of 27 ° C. Capurgana is formed by three regions: El Cielo, El Aguacate y La Mora.
How to get to Capurgana?
To arrive, air or sea transport is used, since there is no land transport.
I visited Capurgana with some friends, to get there, we traveled by plane. We depart from the Enrique Olaya Herrera airport in the city of Medellín-Antioquia, by direct flight to the Narcisa Navas airport in Capurgana. Flights are only made by light aircraft and charter flights of the Searca and Tac airlines. We flew with Searca airline. Flight duration was about 50 minutes.
Another option is to take a flight from Medellín to Acandi municipality. There, you must take a boat to Capurgana port; this journey lasts 20 minutes.
Capurgana Colombia Trip
Arriving at Capurgana Colombia, you can see a real paradise, ideal to relax, enjoy of nature and spend a nice and relaxing holiday. It was great because we needed a place like this to get away from work routine and the city stress. Also, the newlyweds spend their honeymoon there, since it has various and comfortable hotels.
6 Tourist Attractions and Things to Do in Capurgana
There are many tourist attractions to visit, such as:
It is 15 minutes from Capurgana town. It is named for its green waters. In addition, this beach has fine sand and some geysers in which seawater is released through a hole from the top of the rock. This beach is ideal for snorkeling.
This beach is beautiful because of its waters with blue and green tones. There, you can find salt and fresh water, since in this place rivers flow into the sea; forming a sea-arm that goes into the coast around the river mouth.
We made a 30 minute walk along the coast to get to gods pool. In this beautiful beach you can see huge rocks and cliffs. Creating massive foam when sea waves hit against the rocks. In this place, we also could see many snails of different colors. Additionally, we had the opportunity to observe some dolphins jumping into the sea. These animals are very intelligent, since they jumped in such a synchronized way that they seemed to be presenting a choreography. It was a wonderful show.
Another so quiet and nice place is ‘El Cielo’. We made a 1-hour walk through the Darien gap, where we could observe monkeys and toucans. During the tour we had to go through the Capurgana River 13 times, in order to reach El Cielo. There, we appreciate beautiful waterfalls and a natural pool. In addition, you can observe a magnificent nature with diversity of plants. The place is ideal for breathing fresh air.
In another place on the coast is Sapzurro town,having a circular bay and trails through the woods. From the Capurgana port, we took a boat to Sapzurro town. The boat trip lasted 25 minutes, being amazing because we could observe many dolphins during all the journey. It was a unique experience because the dolphins took our same route and jumped close to the boat.
Upon arrival, we enjoyed ‘Playa Bonita’, an ideal beach to do snuba diving because of calm and crystal clear water.
La Miel Beach
La Miel beach has white sand with calm and crystal clear waters, it is lined with palm trees. It is located further northwest, on the border with Panama. The same day we were in Sapzurro, we went to this beach through a trail from the town. On the trail, you have to climb a hill with many steps to reach the viewpoint at the summit. From there, you can see on one side the coast of Colombia and on the other side the coast of Panama. Descending from the hill, you find La Miel beach.
Other tourist attractions in Capurgana Colombia
- San Blas Island
- Cape Tiburon
- Narza Island
- Rock Bobo
- The birds Island
- La Coquerita
- Sea turtle sighting: From April to May you can see sea turtles, especially two types: hawksbill and cana. They arrive at the coasts of the Acandi town to hatch their eggs. In September the eggs are broken and hatchlings are born, then they go straight to the sea; a unique spectacle.
To take into account
- You must be vaccinated against yellow fever because you are within Darien gap.
- You must wear sunglasses, cap, aqua socks to cross the river on the way to El Cielo, sunscreen and repellent.
- Unfortunately, there are no ATMs or banks in Capurgana. So, you must always have cash.
- Have your identity documents, especially if you travel to La Miel beach and San Blas island (Panamanian territory).
- The best time to practice snuba diving is from April to November; time to low tide. From January to March, sea waves are huge making navigation a little difficult.
- An important recommendation is NOT to enter food into the rooms. Similarly, you must store your medications in the fridge of the room. You must follow this recommendation as food and medicine attract animals. Keep in mind that this zone has a great variety of fauna.