Learn how to prepare this dish of Russian international cuisine and enjoy its gastronomy with the original recipe of the beef stroganoff.
The beef stroganoff or strogonoff is an international dish originally from Russia. Its main ingredient is the tenderloin since it is a juicy, tender and lean meat. It is easy to prepare and very worldwide demanding for its delicious taste.
The dish has had many variations in its preparation and in the type of loin that is cooked. It can be prepared with beef, veal or pork. The original Russian recipe of loin strogonoff is prepared with veal. Which comes from cows or oxen that have lived only between 8 months and a year. Therefore, this meat has a good taste and is very healthy due to its high protein content and low fat content. In addition, it is so easy to digest compared to adult beef, as it is very tender and contains a lot of water, which allows the cooking to be faster.
Before I start with the recipe to prepare the beef stroganoff, I’m going back to its history.
History of Beef Stroganoff or Strogonoff
This dish dates back to the end of the 19th century in Russia. During this time the Russian general Pável Aleksándrovich Stróganov had a haute cuisine chef. Who was participated at a gastronomic competition in St. Petersburg-Russia, where he invented the recipe. Thanks to being the winner of the contest, the plate was surname as its owner, Stroganov. As the recipe became famous worldwide, little by little it changed its name from stroganov to stroganoff or strogonoff. This is due to the adaptation that was made to different languages.
This dish was catapulted into Russian high society and the banquets they offered. It was so well known that it reached restaurants in China. This country like Russia is responsible for spreading to the United States. There, it became a worldwide gourmet dish. Currently the dish is very popular in Brazil. Although they modify the recipe a little, since instead of preparing it with sour cream, they add tomato sauce. Also, in many countries of the world it is still important for the gastronomy of homes and the best restaurants. Chefs gives their personal touch with some variation of ingredients.
Russian Original Recipe of Beef Stroganoff
For 4 servings
- 1 Kg. de lomo de ternera
- 1 cup of flour
- 50 gr. of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 1/4 Kg. Of mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 5 tablespoons of white wine
- 1/2 cup of milk cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- The first thing to do is cut the meat into strips, sheets or thick julienne, with 1 cm wide and 4 cm long approximately. Many people chop it in squares, but the original recipe is cut in julienne. Then season the meat with salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle the flour covering it well.
- Apart you should chop the onion in a round shape or in half moons and sauté in butter and oil at medium temperature. When the meat have a transparent color you should add the mustard and let it cook for 3 more minutes. Then the temperature is increased to the maximum and the meat is added little by little. Let it cook, stirring constantly so that it does not pass over the cooking point.
- On the other hand, the mushrooms should be chopped into thick slices and the moment the meat gets a golden tone add them. Also, add the rum, the white wine and let them evaporate for 1 minute. Then add water and sour cream (if you can not get it you can add natural yogurt). Let cook for 5 minutes. Remember that it is important that the meat does not overcook.
- Before serving, add cream, stir and serve. The beef tenderloin stroganoff can be accompanied with white rice, mashed potatoes and spaghetti or pasta. You can serve it as you wish either by placing the meat above or next to the pasta.