Cordon bleu or chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese is a really easy dish to prepare. Since, chicken meat is very tender and juicy. This dish is part of world-class gourmet restaurants and various social events.
Benefits of eating chicken meat
Chicken is the second most consumed meat worldwide. It is very beneficial because it is easy to digest and provide a variety of vitamins and proteins to the body. Chicken is a low-fat white meat, especially the breast but without skin. It provides a large amount of nutrients and phosphorus ideal for teeth, liver and kidney. Poultry also increases muscle mass, prevents osteoporosis and arthritis due to its protein values. It also repairs the tissues and helps maintain good vision because of the vitamin A it provides. Likewise, the contribution of vitamin B helps prevent cancer and genetic diseases. It also increases serotonin levels to maintain a good mood and fight depression.
Chicken nutritional value
When consuming 100 gr of chicken, the nutritional contribution to our body is:
- Calories 195 kcal
- Fat 7.7 gr
- Saturated Fat 2.2 gr
- Proteins 30 gr
- Magnesium 22-37 mg
- Phosphorus 200 mg
- Calcium 13 mg
- Potassium 248-359 mg
- Iron 2 mg
- Zinc 1 mg
Recommendations when buying chicken
When buying chicken it is necessary to take into account certain characteristics that allow you to know its quality and freshness. Bellow the most important ones:
- The meat should have a pinkish hue without any stain. When you touch it, should feel moist and not be sticky.
- The amount of skin fat should be minimal.
- If you notice any type of mistreatment in the meat, must not be bought.
- If you buy a packaged chicken you must easily identify the expiration date.
Cordon bleu story
The cordon bleu (blue ribbon) is a French term. Which began to be used in the cusine due to the similarity of the blue ribbons worn by the French gentlemen in 1578 and the ribbons used in the cooks aprons. Although the history of cordon bleu has a French origin, it was first mentioned in a cookbook in Brig ,Switzerland,1949. As well as it appeared in The New York Times in 1967. After time, the cordon bleu recipe was worldwide recognized. As well as presenting variations in its ingredients, replacing chicken with veal, beef or pork.
Chicken cordon bleu recipe preparation
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1 Roller (optional)
- Transparent plastic (optional)
- Toothpicks (optional)
- 1 Knife
- 3 containers
- 1 Fork
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Kitchen towel
- 1 Fried spoon
- 1 Stove
- 1 Pound chicken breast fillet
- Pepper (Optional)
- 1 Small big-headed onion (Optional)
- 1 Cup Wheat flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Slice Ham
- 2 Slice Cheese
- 5 Strips Bacon (optional)
- In order for the cordon bleu not to dismantle, the breast fillet must be as thin as possible without breaking. You can thin it with a knife, or if you want it to be even cover it with plastic and roll it over. Then add some spicies, salt and pepper, if you don't want to use pepper you can replace it with head onion in slices. Let the fillet preserve for 15 minutes with the spicies. Then cut the fillet in half with the knife to have 2 portions.
- Separately add in three bowls the wheat flour, the bread crumb and the beaten eggs.
- Then take one of the portions of the breast and place a slice of cheese, a ham slice and other slice of cheese, similar to a sandwich. Then cover everything with the second portion of breast and start rolling.
- The roll it formed must be breaded, so it must be passed through the wheat flour, then through the eggs and finally through the breadcrumbs. If you want to add bacon you can do it before breading. To do this, you must place the bacon strips side by side horizontally and vertically and separately, securing them with toothpicks. Then follow the steps to bread the roll.
- Once the roll has been breaded, it should be put in the freezer for 15 minutes so that it gets consistency and does not dismantle. At the end of this time it should be fried in oil at medium temperature. When it has browned on all sides, take it out and leave it on a kitchen towel to absorb the oil. Finally, cut it into several slices of the desired size. If you added bacon, remove the toothpicks before cutting. You can add white sauce or bechamel sauce made with butter, wheat flour, milk and chicken broth. You can accompany it with white or green rice and a potato salad with pineapple and cream.
You can find this article in other languages
You may also be interested in