In december time, we use all our creativity to make beautiful and eye-catching Christmas ornaments. Among them, ceramic houses decorated with snow and painted with acrylic paints. With different colors and techniques we can capture all our ingenuity on these houses. They are one of the most used ornaments to decorations at Christmas. For this reason I want to share in this article a great technique to paint, decorate and light them. As for painting and decoration, materials are available at any ceramic or craft store.
Before starting to explain step by step how to make these beautiful houses, I will start talking about ceramics, composition, uses and their different types.
Ceramics is a material used for the decoration and elaboration of various useful elements in the home. Among them toilets and bathroom sinks. Ceramics is based on the process to heat clay at high temperatures. It is stable, does not oxidize being resistant to corrosion.
How to paint, decorate and light ceramic christmas houses
- Drill (optional)
- Silicone gun
- 1 Ceramic Christmas house
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Sponge or thick foam
- Acrylic paints
- Thick and thin brushes
- 1 Palette or dish to mix the paints
- Snow texture paint (prepared at home or ready)
- 1 Silicone bar
- 1 Pencil
- 1 Knife
- 1 Light socket base – model E12
- 1 E12 color light bulb
- 1 2 x 22 duplex cable meter
- 1 Plastic plug
- The house must have a removable ceramic base to make easy the lighting. If you don’t get it, don’t worry, it can be illuminated in the same way. The first thing to do is to open a hole for lighting. If your home has a removable base, you must open a small hole in the middle of the base, you need using a drill. If you do not have that tool you must do it manually. So, place the base in the bottom of a bowl with water and place the screwdriver in the center and with a hammer give a blow until you open the hole. It is important to do the procedure in the water so that the pottery is not going to break. If your house does not have a removable base, you must make a hole below it on one of its sides. To do this you must draw with a pencil a circle larger than the size of the ceramic light bulb socket. You must hit the screwdriver several times throughout the circle so that it opens fully. Then use the sandpaper to sand the edges of the circle. Finally open a small hole on one side of the house for the electrical cord.
- When you have already opened the holes, pass a sponge or thick foam moistened with water through all the parts of the house. This in order to remove the dust and so that the paint is better absorbed.
- Before you start painting the house you should identify where the snow will be applied, since it is the last thing that is applied. If you are going to apply it in a large area it should not be painted, although you can also apply snow in small areas already painted.
- To start painting you must first pour the acrylic paints on the palette, or the plastic dish. There you can mix colors according to your perception. For me, it is ideal to combine them and use dark and light tones of the same color, this makes the house look beautiful.
- Start painting the house in the same direction using the different sizes of the brushes according to the shape and details you are going to paint. To achieve these nuances you must use a medium brush of hard bristles and you must use the technique of brushing. This technique involves adding a little paint to the brush, then cleaning to remove excess. Then very quick brushstrokes are passed that barely touch the ceramics in the area that you want to have the nuances. You should keep in mind that dark colors must be applied first and lighter colors on top of this technique.
- When you have finished painting, you should apply the snow in the areas you did not paint and where you want them to have this effect. Snow paint should always be applied with a hard bristle brush by tapping the ceramic brush.
- In my case I applied the snow to the entire roof, the top of the trees and to the entrance of the house. As I mentioned in the materials you can buy a snow texture paint ready to apply or you can prepare it yourself. I would like to share 3 different ways to prepare your own snow painting.
First: Spreading white silicone to give the snow effect. Then add artificial white frost to the silicone, shake the house to remove the excess of artificial frost.
Second: In a bowl pour white glue and add shaving foam according to the amount of snow you want. Stir until a homogeneous cream is made. After adding white frost, stir and apply the paint on your house. Artificial frost in this case is optional, if you do not want to shine on the snow, apply only the mixture.
Third: In a bowl pour in the same proportion white acrylic paint, white glue, half a teaspoon of gesso (white substance made of chalk, plaster and pigment) and half a tablespoon of sea salt. Stir until you get a homogeneous paste, then gradually add water if it is very thick and stir. The paint should not be too liquid or thick and should be left with some lumps that are the ones that give the snow effect. If you notice that any of these characteristics is missing, add a little more of the preparation materials. Either the paint or water to rinse it, the glue or gesso to thicken it or the salt to form lumps. In the houses that I elaborate I use this technique to do the snow painting.
- After finishing applying the snow in the desired areas, your house has been finished in terms of painting and decoration. Now it only remains to let it dry 2 hours to be able to light it.
- For lighting you should take the 2 x 22 electrical cord and open it a little in half at the 2 ends, approximately 2 centimeters. This in order to have 2 tips left at each end. Take each of the 4 tips that came out of the cable and with the help of a knife, cut them approximately 1 centimeter until only the copper wire that comes inside is left at the ends. Then install the light bulb socket at one end of the cable by loosening the 2 screws it brings a little. This in order to put the copper wire of each tip below the screws giving it 2 or 3 turns. After you have all the wire tangled in the screws you must tighten them again. Next, you should glue the light bulb socket to the house with silicone, if your house has the removable base, stick the socket on it. You must do it by placing it above the hole that opened to the base. Remember that before sticking it, you must put the cable through the hole until it goes to the other side and then you can proceed with the gluing. Then screw the bulb into the socket.
- If your house does not have the removable base, you must put the socket with the electrical cord already installed. When you put the socket through the hole, try to take it with your fingers to the center of the base to stick it there. After having glued it, take the cable to the small hole and take it out there to the other side.
- At the end of the cord that goes through the small hole in the house you must install the plastic plug. For this you need to unscrew the plug and inside it, loosen the 2 screws it brings. In order to put the copper wire under the screws giving it 2 or 3 turns. After you have all the wire entangled in the screws you must tighten them again and screw the plug. You can now plug in your house.
- Thus we have completely finished with the Christmas house. I hope you make this fascinating craft. I also hope that you can share your craft ideas to teach us how to make new wonderful things.
You can find this article in other languages
You may also be interested in